The storage unit is empty and the couch is assembled!
Alright, not much to show off, but here’s some quick stuff so that I can have a post this week:
- The upstairs of our house is now recarpeted! We paid the pros for this. I was originally going to lay down laminate, but due to some promotional pricing, it ended up being about the same price to get good carpet. As a result, I don’t have to worry about refinishing the stairs myself…
- My electronics shop is starting to come together. I now have a comfortable soldering bench, some storage, and most of my electronics stuff in order. I’ll get a better update on this later.
- I also have been working on a recurring runoff leak into the shop. I used some scrap metal to make a small barrier for the spot it was coming in, and retrenched a little diversion most, and I’m waiting for the next big rain to see how it does. I planned to update after some storms earlier this week, but I didn’t get enough rain to declare my efforts as successful. These efforts are temporary anyways, as we will need to dig a swale or something in the long run.
- We are moving the last of our storage unit stuff out this weekend, and I’ll be using the moving truck to grab some larger plywood sheets and lumber.
Many other projects are in the planning phase right now, but with the final move coming up, we have a bit of furniture to assemble and things to organize. Should be fun?
For wasps, that is.
We inherited this junky old shed with the property. The doors were broken, it looked like someone backed into it, and maybe a branch had fallen on top.
When we first toured the property, it was filled with a bunch of old tires and other junk, most of which was hauled away before closing. We never planned on using it for storage, because the property has a lot of outbuilding space, and we can’t lock up the shed. The roofing screws had plastic washers, which had degraded in the sunlight and sprung a few leaks.
Taking it apart was a challenge, mostly due to the wasps that called it home. When I first came up to it around 9am, the shed looked empty. As I worked on unscrewing the panels, I noticed one hanging out around a nest. I would grab the wasp spray, kill them, and avoid the inside of the shed for a bit since the spray is nasty stuff. I was moving along in the roof disassembly when I saw three in a corner, looking like they had just popped out. My guess is that either the noise or the remaining aerosol had irritated them into emerging.
The other fun part of this is that the roof is pretty heavy, and has a few points where one person would need to hold a nut while the other would unscrew the bolt. This would stick one person hanging out in the spray with some upset wasps. I was able to get most of those difficult bolts out by angling the bolt with a flathead, and the ventilation was less of an issue as I removed roof panels.
There was also a sawzall, if all else failed.
Here’s the end result, looking like the big bad wolf came through:
The sawzall would have been quicker, but doing this over four hours meant that I have a lot of extra material to use. The corrugated sheet metal can be used for roofing our chicken and rabbit hutches, and most of the usable stuff was on the sides. With the weight of the roof, all those side panels would probably crunch up if I hadn’t removed the roof panels and beams. Those beams will probably make good project metal. The 8’x10′ base of this thing is also very heavy, and might make a nice base for a walk-in chicken coop/pen.
I did toss some of the metal panels above our raised garden yesterday, as we had a decent hailstorm.
We’re turning a drop-leaf dining table into wall-mounted desk space. The following are parts of a wobbly 54″ square table that has a couple 18″ halves. Here’s the progress so far.
It was a good table for having guests around, as it could seat eight people comfortably. It made it through a couple moves, but every time it was extended to move the leaf or even bumped up against, the bolts on the legs would eat up the wood inside the legs. The surface was also pretty scuffed, and the extension was getting tougher to get going. We’re planning on building a long “farmhouse” table that will fit our new dining room later.
Originally, I was going to get a long butcher-block slab to make into the desk, but I wasn’t sure how to support it. When I pulled this thing out of our storage unit, I realized how solid the tabletop is. The stamp underneath it says it was made in Malaysia, so this might be rubberwood? The tabletop will also stand around 29 inches high, which is great for a desk. We went to Atwoods on Saturday morning and I picked up some paint stripper, then spent the afternoon on taking off the scratched-up varnish from the tabletop.
This was the first time that I’d had the two halves separated, so I carried the upstairs to our study, and they fit nicely up against a window with a gap between the two. We’ll be looking for a filing cabinet or something to fill that gap.
While taking those apart, I was also letting a sample strip outside. The reviews I’d read after buying the solvent were…pretty bad. But luckily, where this stuff fails to remove paint, it’s decent at removing old Malaysian varnish. So I set up a table outside the shop and slathered the stuff on a tabletop halves with a cheap paintbrush. For both halves, the varnish scraped off quickly, but there were a few spots that needed multiple passes.
They turned out pretty nice. The edges may need a bit more work, but the grain pops out of the top, and overall the desktops have a bit more character than the block-style slabs I was going to buy.
Next up, I’ll be figuring out how to finish the apron/drawer assembly. The legs will be painted in a “shabby chic” style, and it may look better to have everything else uniformly-painted.
That’s all on the desk for now. I’ll update later with shed teardown notes, and I’ll post a bit more as the desk progresses.